This Friday everyone across the country will be celebrating Australia Day. The 26th of January is an important date in Australia’s history and has changed over time: starting as a celebration for emancipated convicts and evolving into what is now a celebration of Australia that reflects the nation’s diverse people. If you’ve found yourself with no plans, there are events all around Sydney that will guarantee a fun Australia Day!
- Start your Australia Day off right with The Big Breakfast at Dee Why Beach. Breakfast will be served from 7am, where you’ll be treated with all sorts of goodies (think bacon and egg roll) When you’re done you can have a look around the Car and Bike show, and watch the Thong Throwing Competition. There will also be rides and entertainment all day long! https://www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/sydney-north/northern-beaches/events/australia-day-big-breakfast
- Parramatta Park is having a massive, all day Australia Day Party. With an amazing hot-air balloon display, a Big Barbecue competition and a vintage car display; there’s an endless list of things to keep everyone entertained! The main stage will be hosting a talent competition and two Aussie headline performances will take the stage later in the evening. If you’re still awake by nightfall, there will be a massive fireworks finale. https://www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/sydney-west/parramatta/events/australia-day-parramatta
- If you’ve ever wanted to run away and join the circus than Darling Harbour is the place to head to this Oz Day. With an interactive playground designed for kids and adults alike, you can peddle all day long on a unicycle, juggle, or test your balancing skills on some sky-high stilts. Running from 10-2:30, this is not an event to be missed! https://www.darlingharbour.com/whats-on/australia-day/summer-playground/
- Beat the Aussie heat and head over to Fairfield Leisure Centre, where entrance is free on Australia Day. Bring along your blow up thongs, and togs and have yourself a fun and wet day! http://www.fairfieldchampion.com.au/story/5172877/australia-day-events-in-fairfield/
- If you don’t want to travel all the way into the city, Ryde Park will have rides, food trucks and non stop entertainment; it’s family friendly and hassle free. As the sun goes down, Aussie talent will be taking to the stage; with Steve Hart and The Reel Matilda among them, it’s a great way to finish off a fun-filled day! https://www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/sydney-north/events/ryde-australia-day-family-concert-and-fireworks
- Head up to Glenbrook in the Mountains for the annual Australian Gnome convention. With markets, rides and on-stage entertainment; it’s a great day up the mountains! Gnomes come from all over to join the fun of the annual Australian Gnome Convention. https://www.australiaday.com.au/events/whats-on/14th-australian-gnome-convention/